Sunday, 20 May 2012

Itinerary, pre-trip worries

Evidently, I am still in Canada while writing this.  I have not left yet, but everything is starting to fall into place now.  I'm still quite worried about issues with missing transportation, fatigue and most of all, theft & robbery.

I've been given plenty of advice on avoiding theft, pickpockets, and people who drive by in a scooter with a knife and slash the strap on your bag...whatever you call those.  My money-belt will take away the visibility of my valuables, which acts as a deterrent, but I can only fit so much in there.  From what I am told, my priorities in what I should protect are:
  1. Passport
  2. Train Tickets/Plane Tickets
  3. Cash & Credit Cards
Keeping my passport in my money-belt will be tough, since it will be uncomfortable and stiff, but I guess it is necessary.  I still haven't figured out a way to keep my tickets more secure, as they will be in a small bag that I will keep on me at all times along with my tablet.  I will try to keep that bag in front of me at all times, but it's still a risk, in my opinion...I'm still trying to think of a way to protect it further.


I guess I may be over-worrying again - typical of me. Chances are, nothing will happen.  On a lighter note, I'd like to share the planned itinerary so far.  I know it will be tough and packed, but I hope to accomplish as much of it as possible; deleting items will be used as a last resort to deter fatigue.  Here goes:

June 2: flight to Frankfurt, arrive June 3

June 3-June 5: Frankfurt
Highlights: Museumsufer, a few food & shopping streets, Main Tower, Borse Stock Exchange, Cathedral of St. Bartholomew 

June 6-June 10: Berlin
Tours: Third Reich tour, Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp
Highlights: Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust memorials, sites related to WWII & the Cold War, Brandenburg Gate, Museumsinsel 

June 11-June 16: Munich
Tours: Beer & Brewery tour, Dachau Concentration Camp, Neuchwanstein Castle, day trip to Salzburg, Third Reich tour
Highlights: BMW Welt Museum & plant tour, Asamkirche, Alte Pinakothek, Residenz (palace) 

June 17-June 19: Venice
Highlights: Scuola Grande di San Rocco, San Marco area (Basilica, Palazzo Ducale, bell tower), Galleria dell'Accademia, Palazzo Grassi 

June 20-June 22: Florence
Highlights: Galleria Palatina, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Medici Chapel Museum, Galleria dell'Accademia, Galleria degli Uffizi 

June 23-June 26: Naples
Highlights: Museo Cappella Sansevero, underground tunnels,  Royal Palace Museum, Teatro di San Carlo (opera house), Pompeii & Herculaneum, Catacombe di San Gennaro 

June 27-June 30: Rome
Highlights: Spanish Steps, Vatican City, Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Roman Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, other museums 

July 1: Paris - Sacre Coeur area
Highlights: Basilique du Sacre Coeur 

July 2: Bordeaux
Highlights: Bordeaux Wine & Trade Museum, Maison du Vin de Bordeaux 

July 3-July 4: Pauillac (leave at noon, July 4)
Highlights: Chateau Lynch-Bages (5th Growth), Chateau Pichon-Longueville Baron (2nd Growth), Maison du Vin de Pauillac, unconfirmed third Chateau/tour

July 4-July 6: Saint-Emilion (leave at noon, July 6)
Tour: Exploring Underground Saint-Emilion
Highlights: Maison du Vin de Saint-Emilion, Chateau Villemaurine, Monolithic Church, Chateau Beau-Sejour Becot, unconfirmed third Chateau

July 6-July 7: Bordeaux
Highlights: Ecole du Vin, Place de Bourse, Place du Parlement, Musee des Beaux Arts de Bordeaux, Saint Andre Cathedral

July 8-July 12: Paris
Highlights: Catacombes, Le Louvre, Centre Pompidou, Cathedrale de Notre Dame, Palace of Versailles, Eiffel Tower, Musee d'Orsay, Arc de Triomphe, other museums & shopping streets

July 13: flight out of Paris

That's it! Seems simple enough, right?  It's getting late, but I'll update details as things come up before I leave :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trip seems fun and exciting!
    Don't worry too much, I will pray for your safety during your trip! Remember to take lots of photos =] Waiting for your new updates!
    -Szeyan

    ReplyDelete