Just had a beer in my room with the army guys. They're pretty cool , but I think my lack of military experience made it a little flight to relate to some of their tough stories, which ranged from survival training for enemy raids to a scenario where you pretend that your best friend died in a battle. Pretty intense stuff. Hockey came up - I was given some comments about the hate for my hockey team, so I accidentally-on-purpose brought up the Gold Medal Game. Whoops, hit a sore spot! :P All invoked fun though.
Anyways, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out an internet phone plan, which in the end, I did not get because most were for German residents. My main highlight today was The Cathedral of St. Bartholomew. Before this, I headed over to the Borse building and the Opera House. The Opera House building is a standalone structure, well-decorated and complete with a fountain in front.
Frankfurt, as some of you may know, is the main finance hub after London. There weren't very many suits on the street on Sunday, but it was very noticeable today. As a bonus, the cafe outside the Borse building was called the Bull + Bear.There was also a huge Bull & Bear statue outside. Finance people will get this.
The Cathedral was a very beautiful structure on both the outside and the inside. It's amazing that the church can create such beautiful buildings. I had initially planned to take pictures inside, as it is, after all,a holy place of worship. Once local German tourists pulled out their cameras, I figured I wouldn't miss out on getting you guys sooner pics. I didn't get a close-up picture of the front because there was actually a priest praying with followers there, so I didn't want to disturb them. The Mainland Chinese tour group that came in shortly after did not share this sentiment. They were snapping pictures on their DSLRs everywhere with flash on. Imagine trying to pray with a billion people snapping flash photos at you.
For lunch, I had something from the fish market. It was fresh salmon & potatoes, with Coke because I noise it.
In the afternoon, I walked around town some more, wandering past a park and the Museumsufer museums. For those of you who don't know, Museumsufer is a set of 34 museums with a shared 8-Euro ticket. Most pictures the museums are located alongside the river bank. They are closed long Mondays, which is why I couldn't go in. I bought my ticket on Mondays though, which is why I spent the day wandering. I'll have time for about 8 tomorrow, which is is pretty good, some are too far away, others are blog interesting, and quite a few are contemporary art (no offense, I don't find blobs of paint and strange patterns amazing). Not all get museums are big, which is why I can fit so many in one day.
For dinner, I tried a place called Rafaeolo's Pizzeria. I had their signature pizza and the waitress's recommended beer and both were good. I am very surpprised by a lack of tipp option on the credit card machine. That spoiled explain why the waiter was so happy when I left him 10% last night. The waitress also lit a candle for me, which made me feel extra alone.
After dinner, I got home to plan the Museum day tomorrow. The guys also left me a can of leftover Apple Wine that is supposed to be a local thing. Up next - pictures and more tomorrow!
what is the hooded person doing?
ReplyDeleteNeed more photos of your face! Also, same question: what IS that hooded person doing? :O
ReplyDeleteThe guy is doing a "hovering" act on the street. He basically supports his weight by only using the one arm while looking completely relaxed to give the illusion that he is floating.
ReplyDeleteThe guy is doing a "hovering" act on the street. He basically supports his weight by only using the one arm while looking completely relaxed to give the illusion that he is floating.
ReplyDeleteAmazing, I would definitely give him some euros if I were there, it's like Genie.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your friend Bunny - more photos of you in them! Your parents will appreciate that, and you will too, down the road :)
ReplyDeleteMUSEUMSUFER SOUNDS AMAZING! Good on you for tipping the waiter! Sorry about the candle thing - I laughed. Though I hope that your "feeling alone" isn't negative, like actual "loneliness." Make the most of- no, take advantage of this adventure and face everything head-on, Ivan!!! :)
Lastly,
Pizaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhria :D