Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Day 25: Wifi issues - being a computer hog

In a shocking turn of events, I have decided to refund my wifi and use one of their two computers available for guests to type this, as my tablet somehow isn't connecting well to the wifi.  The one thing that is annoying is the Italian keyboard, which misplaces the apostrophe, the @ sign requires a Ctrl+Alt command, and a number of modifications to the keyboard format that I am used to.

Upon arriving today, I found the present surpise that the hostel that I am staying at is also a hotel, and I'm really just sharing a hotel room with 4 other people.  I dropped off my luggage, since my room wasn't ready, and immediately headed out to my destinations that I had planned for today.  I dropped by the main train station to get a Roma pass for tomorrow, but those stupid newspaper stands don't take credit, further lowering my cash count.  I think I will have to make one bank run when I get to France and get charged ridiculous amounts to pull cash out.

I first stopped by the Spanish Steps in the Piazza Spagna, which I thought were totally overrated.  Sure, they were pretty, but the steps themselves are not very wide going across, so it wasn't very grand or anything. There were also boatloads of tourists, which meant that I was very hesitant to stick around.  I guess that's Rome at this time of the year.

I visited the church at the top of the hill and it was mediocre, so I headed back down and towards the Trevi Fountain.  When I arrived, there were tons of tours and tourists in the area.  It was horrific to try to find a spot to take pictures, but I managed.  As usual, because it was so crowded, I took a few pictures and moved on.  I walked northwards towards the Piazza Popolo, but stopped briefly for a slice of pizza on the way.  The plaza was pretty awesome and definitely a place to visit.  I would argue that it is even more beautiful than the Spanish Steps.  When I was done with the photos, I walked up the hill to the Pincio Hill, which is a big park.  The Piazza Napoleone is a great place to get a view of the city and also the Piazza Popolo below.

There are a great number of fountains, statues and even a temple on an island in the park.  It seems so much nicer than the parks that we have at home, and it just goes to show that there is so much more history in Italy than in North America.  When I had enough in the park, I walked back down towards city centre and visited a few churches before returning to my hostel.  The most beautiful church was probably the St. Maria Maggiore.  I will attach pictures, which will say so much more than words.













After having dinner at a restaurant called Mama Angela's, as recommended by my hostel, I am turning it in early for an early day at the Vatican tomorrow. Sorry for so few photos, the wifi is slow here.

No comments:

Post a Comment